Shepherds We Shall Be

Shepherds We Shall Be

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Experimenting with my evening...

So I decided today would be a "be my own photographer" kind of night. I wanted some pics for the blog to make it spiffy I suppose lol. Let me just say that setting a timer on all sorts of tables, chairs, or even diaper boxes and getting me AND Lestat into place in ten seconds is a challenge...I did pretty good considering all my practice I suppose.
First up, the some of the reasons I call myself the Tattooed Mom


And some more...

Now this little man kept shooting me with his little foam dart toy!
Now in between all this fun-ness I want to get serious for a moment with one thing that bugs me about some people. While having a conversation with a stranger that (clearly) doesn't know me or my son I had been talking about Lestat when they looked puzzled and asked why he doesn't talk yet or other things since he is 4 years old. I responded in my usual casual (but yet underlying defiant) tone of saying "Oh, he has Down Syndrome" And the first response this person has to that is "OMG I'm so sorry!"...........
 
MAMA BEAR RAGES INSIDE OF ME...
But instead of verbally maiming this stranger for life, I swallow the screaming profanities bubbling up and chokingly but calmly say "No, there's nothing to be sorry about. He is an absolute doll and has no health problems." They smile politely and move on in the conversation. Now this is one thing I have wondered about since the first person said it to me when Lestat was only 2 months old. How does a person immediately go to "I'm Sorry" ?????? Maybe it's the controversial thriving defiance in me that wants to look at them with crazy eyes and say "You don't know me, You don't know my son, and You don't know the situation!" My son is utterly perfect in every way and I'm outraged that you offer condolences to something that makes him special in every sense of the word! So this is my raging and now here is my question. What on earth are you sorry for? For me? For him? For both of us? And WHY? Look at these pictures and tell me what you see and if there's anything for you to be sorry about.
My Tiny Chef!
 Feeling Sorry Still? Maybe not?
Always so happy! (And he inherited my mouth)
 I didn't think so.
What's Cookin Good Lookin?
 And why? Because there's nothing to be sorry about!
Racing around the room!
 This is a typical evening minus the camera lol. Lestat is so energetic and playful and we have a blast together!
Mother and Son...and bra lol
 He even cooperates by saying "eeeeee!" for Cheese sometimes! lol
Can't get enough of this boy!
 I love him more than anything in this world.
Tattooed Mom, Perfect Son.
And this is what our life looks like. Maybe to strangers it's not perfect but it doesn't have to be. Our labels don't define us unless we want them to. Love is the center and that's all that matters.

6 comments:

  1. ok...I know you know but I'm going to just say it ha ha.
    One. They may possibly be saying I'm sorry to the fact that they asked such a silly question...
    and two. I actually spoke to my friend a little while ago about this same thing. She has a son who has downs and she loves him more than anything. He's a wondeful kid, he's happy and sweet but he's a little harder than her other kids and it is a bigger challenge. people say I'm sorry because we assume it's more difficult than it probably is.... so we feel sympathy even though in lestat's case it isn't really needed :) just be grateful that you get to say " there isn't anything to be sorry for" instead of thanking them for understanding?
    But I get where you are coming from :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Sam lol Glad you saw past it and know why I'm this way and maybe I'm like this because I don't have any other kids to compare him to-He's my first and only so it's all I know

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO people should butt out. REally? Was she a friend or a random stranger? Random strangers don't get a say in your life. None of their business. Not to mention did she say that in front of your son? Thats when the claws would come out. I wish people would think before opening their mouths. And your friend might be completely right like what she said was harmless, but as a fellow mama bear I can see how you would want to rip her face off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random stranger Bre! That's why I freak inside cuz none of my friends would ever say that! None of you did when he was born! And no its onlybeen said once in front of him but that was when he was a couple months old. Mama Bears Unite! ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lestat is absolutely beautiful :) And he is so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy who loves him so much and is willing to move mountains for him. What a blessing to have such a constant ray of sunlight in your heart and in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these shoes!!! Also I posted on your fb a link to a friend who had a similar experience only the guy was REALLY ignorant.

    ReplyDelete